Tuesday, August 16, 2011

This Week's Eats (August 8-August 14)


Jambalaya, Corn Bread, Grilled Zucchini & Squash and Peach-Pie Cake
Wednesday was my third, and final Physics test, so I lured Kyle with the traditional Louisiana Creole dish, Jambalaya. Although my cooking was fairly short of authentic, Zatarain's gave me a delightful, quick, at home variation of the Spanish and French inspired meal.

Although this is a TERRIBLE picture, in terms of quality, the actual food in the pictures was so awesome

Making Jambalaya and Corn Bread
I always thought that family box meals weren't really meals, but I have discovered its not about how much effort you put into preparing a meal but rather how the meal turns out. So I have feel victim to making a few box meals lately (this is in addition to my regular mac-n-cheese, hamburger helper, ramen noodles and ready rice that I don't detail in my posts) and make sure my side dishes always compliment (in this case corn bread and grilled zucchini and squash). So go scoop up a box of Zatarain's Jambalaya Family Meal and Jiffy Corn Bread Mix and follow the instructions on the back! For the jambalaya I used sausage and added a little cilantro to the mix and because Kyle and I both preferred moist corn bread over dry corn bread I reduced the baking time by a couple minutes.
top row: Jiffy Corn bread, Zatarain's Jambalaya and Kyle diligently working on physics (and enjoying an adult beverage)
second: prepartions, chopping red potatoes, cilantro, and sausage and distributing corn bread mix
bottom: all finished corn bread with awesome tigermit and jambalaya in process
Making Grilled Zucchini and Squash
I was pumped for another somewhat improv opportunity. After slicing and drizzling with olive oil I placed the fresh zucchini and squash (sprinkled with some parsley) on my handy-dandy-mini-george-foreman over for a few minutes. That's really it!
Making Peach-Pie Cake
I am not normally a huge fan of baked peach dishes, but this gawk seemed super easy (plus one) quick (plus two) and I already had all the ingredients except the pie filling (plus three and a winner). 
1/2 C Unsalted Butter
1 C All Purpose Flour
3/4 C Sugar
1  Tsp Baking Powder
2 Large Eggs
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
12.5 oz Peach Pie Filling
1. Preheat oven 350 F, prepare baking dish with coat of non-stick spray
2. Mix Butter and Sugar well adding eggs and beating between each.
3. Add vanilla extract and mix until well combined
4. Add flour and baking powder mixing well
5. Pour mixture into baking dish and add peach  filling on top.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes (good time for eating Jambalaya and working on physics)
7. Toothpick check around batter and allow to cool (more time for physics) 


Zucchini Pizza Bites
This awesome little pin I decided would be great for my second zucchini I bought for Wednesday and didn't use. Due to my over-abundance of noodles (I think I must buy a new box every time I make a pasta dish and forget I have 3/4 of a box still in the cabinet) I have plans to make Turkey Burger Spaghetti the first of next week. So on my Sunday Orange Bi-Lo trip, where I have made good friends with the self-checkout guy (I self-checkout because my craziness in the way I like my groceries bagged and because its easier than get antsy watching a nimrod put my frozen vegetables with a box of cereal. My groceries are much easier to put up when you efficiently place things in their proper bags) and also where I have made good friends with the buggy guy (who for the second time has enjoyed laughing at me ride my buggy from the door to my car like a  five year-old) I picked up some pasta sauce and I always have cheeses on hand (in this case mozzarella) for my omelets.
Zucchini
Pasta Sauce  
  (I always use Classico as introduced by an old friend)
Mozzarella Cheese

1. Slice zucchini and coat pan with non-stick oil.
2. Broil in oven for two minutes on each side.
3. Place dime-size amount of sauce on each zucchini slice and sprinkle mozzarella.
4. Broil for additional two minutes
Strawberry Spinach Salad
This lovely acted as my lunch for several days this week. Perfect for my wanting to eat a little better given all the goodness I make for dinners. This is also another opportunity for different varieties. Super simple throw some spinach leaves, fresh sliced strawberries, under some raspberry vinagrette dressing (I actually tried Wishbone's superfruit vinaigrette and it was awesome). I also added some almonds and real bacon bits (I never use the fake crunchy any more and suggest everyone switch to the "real" bacon pieces). If serving this as a dinner dish on a larger scale adding grilled shrimp or grilled chicken would be delicious!

Tilapia Tacos with Chipotle Sauce, Corn Salsa, Hushpuppies, Rice and Lemon Crumb Squares
Good ole' Brenda and Philip made a special trip to Clemson Sunday evening to visit (and to diagnosis the Dish issues; I've been Hulu-ing and netflixing a lot this week with out the Dish DVR) so I cooked my very first meal for my parents! For most, cooking for the two people who will love you unconditionally (i.e. how horrible your food is) would be easy, but I get the special challenge called my father, who does not eat anything. This, I am not exaggerating, no sauces (mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, or anything including these things) no seasonings (except salt and pepper) vegetables are limited to beans potatoes and fresh (not cooked) carrots and none of these can have additives such as cheeses or dressings, limited fruits, and meats are limited to dry well-done burgers, chicken, and only flounder and tilapia fish, he is however a big fan of most things sweet, so at least dessert was easier. Because I refuse to eat this way I had to be creative and find something that I could cook for Pops then add to for myself and Mom.

Making Tilapia Tacos and Chipotle Sauce
Sunday Orange Bi-Lo trip was wonderful with buy-one-get-one in a variety of ready to cook fishes, so I purchased a pack of Tilapia, which included 7 fillets. The Chipotle Sauce, that I picked up from a recipe I saw in a magazine, was by far the easiest part of the meal and definitely took the tacos to the next level.
Tilapia Fillets
1 Lemon




1/2 Cup Yogurt
2 TBSP Mayonnaise
Chipotle Chilies in Adobo
1. Prepare skillet with small amount of cooking oil. Slice lemons.
2. Pan sear over medium tilapia with lemon slices. Allow the fish to cook for several minutes on each side, should turn a slight brown color.

1. Strain Yogurt
2. Add Mayo and Chilies and mix well.


Making Corn Salsa
Oh I am really getting into all these salsa variations (peach salsa is next). I used this mixture for both a taco topping and a chip dip.
1 Can Corn
1/2 Bell Pepper
1 Tbsp Cilantro
2 Tsp Lime Juice
1/4 Red Onion
1. Drain corn (leave about 1/4 for some extra juiciness), Chop pepper, cilantro, and red onion then Combine!
Making Hushpuppies and Rice
Hushpuppies were a last minute addition to the menu. As I was frantically search the Orange Bi-Lo for condensed milk for the lemon squares (which I was sure would be on the baking aisle, but in fact is on the cereal and coffee aisle? whatever) I stumbled across the little miracle package and I must say they were a treat (they would have been even more delightful had I not cooked them too quickly) and I definitely plan on trying them again in the future. Simply follow the instructions on the back of the package. I found the trick to this was to drop small spoonfuls into the grease and only go with the initial drop (adding extra or shaking the spoon will create an odd-shaped and is harder to rotate thus harder to fully cook). With my hundredth time cooking rice (still simple ready-rice) it seems to be my most difficult task, either under cooking or over cooking.

Making Lemon Crumb Squares
This recipe was a pin and the second non-chosen option for Wednesday's dinner and I must say it should have been chosen over the peach! Unfortunately Brenda and Philip left before the squares were cooled (their loss) so I indulged in their portion (good thing I've been diligent about my daily runs and my jumping jack and abs craziness, hopefully it will last). The rest I have packed nicely and stored to take Wednesday to the hospital for my last Wednesday volunteering (due to school I'm switching to the busier and more eventful ER Sundays ahh).
1 1/3 C All Purpose Flour
1/2 Tsp of Salt
1 Tsp Baking Powder
Stick of Butter
1 C Brown Sugar
14 oz can Condensed Milk
1/2 C Lemon Juice
Zest of 1 Lemon
1. Preheat oven 350 F and prepare baking dish by coating with non-stick spray. Zest Lemon (I used the same lemon used with the Tilapia and this was my first zesting experience—interesting)
2. Mix butter and brown sugar until well combined.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt then add to butter-sugar, mix until well combined.
4. Press half of mixture on bottom of pan.
5. Combine lemon juice, condensed milk, and lemon zest and pour over bottom layer.
6. Using your hands knead the remaining flour mixture then crumble for a top layer.
7. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, allowing 30 minutes to cool and set then refrigerate for a couple hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment