Monday, August 8, 2011

This Week's Eats (August 1-August 7)

Well it was quite a week, one which ended in 2 encounters with law enforcement in 2 days (one is detailed in this post, the other to remain untold as it is not my story to tell) in addition to my blackberry deciding to go for a little dip in a porcelain bowl of water named Loo. But nonetheless food was plentiful and definitely tasty.

Tuesday was a day of leftovers! For those of you who know me well, you know I don't do leftovers often; the doggie-bags I do bring home from restaurants are very carefully combined (only certain foods are worthy of reheating or are satisfying after initially prepared—which is my same philosophy for homecooked meals). Of the foods that I take the initiative to get Tupperware out of my very organized, strategically place Tupperware cabinet, when eaten are merely only picked at. (I would also like to note here that I do not like to end sentences in a preposition but was unable to reword this particular sentence to work for me and Grammar Girl has just informed me that it is actually OK to do so.) Back to leftovers...Tuesday I enjoyed leftovers, not prepared meal leftovers but rather leftover ingredients from Last Week's Eats were crafted into new exciting creations! Of my leftover ingredients that I utilized were Nutella, Bell Pepper, Red Onions, and Tomatoes.

Nutella Banana Graham Crackers
With my new jar of Nutella, used in last weeks Oreo Nutella Truffles, I have be exploring unique uses. This simple snack lacks in the unique department, but does not fall short anywhere in the yummy department. This idea came from some stumble or pin or gawk that I cannot locate at this time.

Banana
Nutella
Cinnamon Graham Crackers

I hope you don't need directions for this but just in case: Break Graham Crackers in half, spread Nutella, place 2 slices of banana per graham cracker and enjoy.
...don't forget your glass of milk!








And while I'm on the snack subject you must try some of these alternate toast combos! Thus far I have tackled 2: Tomato and Chicken (instead of Tuna) Salad, 4:Hummus and peppers, 6:Cream Cheese and Blueberries, & 9: Jam (I used Strawberry) and Cream Cheese. I'm excited to try 7: Laughing Cow Cheese Spread with Ham and Cheese and 1:Veggie cream cheese (yum) and cucumbers!





And And while I'm still obsessing over Nutella: I am disappointed I missed his year's Nutella World Day in February, however next year I think I will refer to the Nutelladay.com recipe list and surprise my future classroom with some yummies. And And And I must find these "Nutella&Go"s. OK enough about Nutella.
Hashbrown Casserole & Individual Monkey Bread!
Here comes my high regard of breakfast foods again...Wednesday night Cell and I decided to have Breakfast for Dinner, which has turned into a bi-weekly event together. She made her amazing Hashbrown Casserole and handled the Turkey Bacon and Sausage while I popped in some Cinnamon Rolls in the oven (easy-breezy on my part). My wanting to attempt Individual Monkey Breads was put on hold until Saturday when we had company, the amazing, Kristi Rail come to visit, but was well worth the wait!



Making Hash Brown Casserole
1 bag of frozen hash browns
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
3/4 C chopped onions
1 can Mushrooms
3/4 16oz Sour Cream
Grated Cheese

Combine hash browns, mushroom soup, onion, mushrooms, sour cream and mix well. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes at 375F. Remove and sprinkle cheese on top. Place back in oven for additional 5 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.

Making Individual Monkey Bread
3 cans Buttermilk Biscuits
1/2 C Brown Sugar
1 C Sugar
2-3 Tsps Cinnamon
2 stick Butter

1. Open biscuits and cut each in 1/4ths
2. Combine sugar and cinnamon in gallon Ziploc, adding biscuit pieces and shaking well. Until pieces are fully coated.
3. Melt butter and brown sugar in a skillet until thoroughly mixed. I did this process in the microwave because I was a little pressed for time, although it did work, I suggest the using the oven and sauce pan.
4. Place biscuit pieces in muffin cups. For me, the 3 cans of biscuits made 12.
5. Pour the butter/brown sugar combination on top of each. Only pour enough to fill to about 1/2 the muffin cup. If more is pour it is suggested putting a piece of tin foil on the oven rack to avoid spilling over into the bottom of the oven.
6. Bake on 350F for approx 20-25minutes, until golden brown.

Egg in Bell-Pepper and Turkey Bacon & Egg Bites
To further support my obsession of morning meals; Eggs are always in my refrigerator and always being cooked (in forms of omelets with lots of goodies inside or with these fun newish trails). Unfortunately, Cell does not eat eggs (crazy I know) so I had to be a self-critic. I have made Bacon & Egg Bites on several occasions previously; including during my internship last semester for both sections of my Calculus seniors, that was 52 little Bacon & Egg Bites (and 6 Wild Berry Muffins for my non-egg and/or vegetarian/vegan crazies). However, this was my first time using Turkey Bacon and this was my first time fabricating the Egg in Bell-Pepper (which I must add I am not thrilled with the name and need to think of something more catchy). Saturday evening as cooked these two delicious concoctions, the inevitable happened. That inevitable event, which was 7 members of the Central Fire Department in my apartment, sprung from this new desire to "feel the heat" as mentioned in the introduction of last week's This Week's Eats. While cooking my Egg in Bell-Peppers I noticed an excessive amount of smoke coming from the burner. I blew slightly to clear the smoke and as it cleared I noticed a glow from under the pan. I removed the skillet to find a small blaze coming from the stove top. I immediately turned off the burner and tired to think how to put the fire out. After blowing and fanning I yelled for Cell and Adam who came to the rescue as the smoke detector started blaring. As the small flame got larger, Adam and I ran around looking for something to smother the fire with, another skillet proved unsuccessful but did decrease the flame, and as Kristina dialed 911 a breath of air bigger than required to put out the candles on my last birthday cake extinguished the fire. Cell told the dispatcher we had it under control and didn't need assistance anymore and our laughing began. Next thing we know a response truck came just to check on things, followed by the Fire Chief, followed by an engine with five additional fire men and one fire woman in full gear (one of these firemen remembered his gear but forgot his shirt, talk about my apartment heating up). By the point of their arriving and venturing through my entire apartment, my Egg in Bell Pepper and Turkey Bacon and Egg Bites were finished. Although I caught the stove on fire and disrupted the entire fire department I saved my food and they were awesome and I received completes on presentation by the entire crew, including shirtless.

Making Turkey Bacon & Egg Bites
The possibilities here are endless. I love these because you can make as many or as few as desired and you can add any ingredients you'd like for a simple baked omelet.
Turkey Bacon
Eggs

1. Slightly cook bacon, you will need one piece of bacon for each bite.
2. Using a muffin tin, coat with nonstick spray and shape bacon into the outer edge of each cup.
3. In a small bowl beat egg(s) and salt and pepper (I add milk to all my eggs; just a splash) then pour eggs into cups, filling 1/2, the egg will rise.
4. Add any other ingredients desired (tomatoes, parsley, onions, etc)
5. Bake for 20 minutes at 350F.

Making Egg in Bell Peppers
I was excited when I found this pin, because it brought two of my favorites, eggs and bell peppers, together in bliss, and even more the thought of being able to add or change things sparked my impromptu aspiration.
Bell Pepper
Eggs
Tomato
Parsley

1. Start by slicing bell peppers dicing tomatoes and finely chopping parsley. The only requirement here is the bell peppers as they act as your out side shell, the rest are just fun additions.
2. Using a skillet heated to medium slightly cook the bell peppers.
3. Crack one egg per bell pepper and allow to cook to preference.
4. Add any extras you have chosen and cook for additional 2-3 minutes.

And now meet the Central Fire Department...
All for my little delicacies.

No comments:

Post a Comment