Monday, September 5, 2011

This (Three) Weeks' Eats (August 15-September 4)

I am extremely disappointed in my failure to post lately. With my starting my last semester of college, which honestly has meant non-stop outings with friends that are now back in town, I have not only been beat to a pulp tired but also failed miserably at cooking an significant meals to share! HOWEVER...it's the best season of the year: FOOTBALL! Which means tons of finger foods and crock-pot recipes will be being produced (and shared of course) to take to tailgating. As my "senior gift" my parents and I worked out a deal that they would purchase a Clemson tailgating/parking spot for our enjoyment and my inebriation. If you have not been to a Clemson football experience, which includes the an entire day of cornhole, grubbing, drinking, and socializing with other awesome Tigers followed by The Most Exciting 25 Seconds in College Football and the loudest stadium in the country packed with 80,000 of the best fans in the world, the Orange, the Purple, feeling the stands shake beneath your feet during a kickoff, standing all 4 quarters/60 minutes of game play/100+ minutes of actual game time, the cannons and Tiger rag at every score, Cadence's Count and singing "...that the Tiger's roar may echo O'er the mountain height" while swaying, arms around your closest friends to lift your hand, thumb tucked, and wave to the Gods you have not lived life to it's fullest!

Before getting to the actually food for the past three weeks, I want to mention my first visit (which  brought such success, resulted in a follow up second visit the next week) to Clemson's Farmer's Market! My purchases were from three local vendors: Yummy Blueberry Preserves from the Happy Berry Farm out of Six Mile, SC which I have slathered on numerous things because I can't get enough! Out of Central, SC Missy Sassy's Original BBQ sauce which was used the first time on my BBQ nachos below and is definitely going to be used in Crock Pot Pulled Pork within the next few weeks for football. And finally an immediate indulge of a massive cinnamon roll from Artisan Breads out of Greer, oh my gracious!



Ziploc Omelet and Stuffed Bell Pepper
I found this gawk and could not help but indulge to see the difference between my regular omelets, which I have become my specialty. The result was ridiculously surprising in that I enjoyed the Ziploc Omelet so much more. The pros included a more moistened egg, due to the condensation being trapped inside the bag, in addition to a better dispersing of ingredients. The Stuffed Bell Pepper is something I have actually been working to figure out for sometime, about nine months. An old friend made them for me once, served with Shrimp and Grits, using the leftover grits, and adding all sorts of randomness, as filling. So for now, I will give you what I have come up with!

Ziploc Omelet 
  • Begin by bringing a large pot of water to a simmer. (medium to medium-high)
  • Mix all ingredients in bowl, ensuring to whisk your egg smooth (my choices were real bacon pieces, tomatoes, bell peppers, red onions, diced tomatoes, and cilantro. Don't forget to add a little milk and if you use fresh meats, rather than ready cooked, you should prepare them before hand)
  • Throw off your ingredients into your quart-sized Ziploc and into the water it goes.
  • Allow 10 about ten minutes to cook until omelet is able to hold shape.
  • Indulge.

Stuffed Bell Pepper
  • Prepare Grits as on package. For two pepper halves 1 cup will suffice.
  • To the grits add a couple spoonfuls of cream cheese, bacon pieces, cheeses galore, a dash of Old Bay Seasoning, and a tsp of butter.
  • Heat to warm, stirring between.
  • Distribute to individual hollowed bell peppers, which can be pan seared prior or eaten fresh and crisp.


Loaded Grilled Cheese
My second favorite thing, next to breakfast, would be grilled cheese and tomato soup. Finding this gawk/pin/stumble (that I wish I could find again) intrigued me. The concept was extremely simple; George Foreman, Kraft Singles, Bread, Butter, and absolutely anything you want to add! My choices were spinach leaves, bell pepper, red onions, and cream cheese! Layer everything on and grill for a few then enjoy with your serving of tomato soup.


GAME DAY!!! Pimento Pigs, Nutella Cookies, Spicy Ranch Pretzels, and Tiger Jello Shots
All on this list were genuinely enjoyed by friends and family and stranger/passer-bys. Or atleast everyone said how much they loved them, but in our inebriated states it's quite possible taste buds had been enhanced. Finding each was easy and I'm sure you can guess where; gawk, pin, and gawk the final two, Spicy Ranch Pretzels and Jello Shots, were a recipe from an old friend's family and required knowledge of a college student, respectively. In the end, all was right in the world of college football; good food, great friends, excessive booze, ridiculous pictures, 43-19 victory over Troy, starting the train at Tiger Town Tavern, and ending the night with my first CAT bus ride from downtown. ah ya ya.

Pimento Pigs and Cream Cheddar Cheese Pigs
This alteration of the tradition Pigs in a Blanket was obtained from the mentioned gawk, however my lacking jalapenos and paprika yet having an abundance of a tub of pimento cheese and, as always, multiple shredded cheeses and cream cheese, lead to stuffing my baby smoked sausages with the yummy sandwich spread, and in turn the most successful of all Troy game day grub.
  • Start by creating small slits in each of the smoked sausage bites.
  • Mix cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheeses in small bowl.
  • Using a spoon fill each cavity with a good helping of pimento cheese or the cream cheese mix.
  • Open biscuit rolls and half each biscuit.
  • Wrap tightly, one half per each sausage
  • Bake on 350F for about 10-12 minutes or until golden.

Nutella Cookies
I'll have to be honest in that, these did not turn out how I expected and I don't see myself making them again. In addition to not wowing me the call for a full cup of Nutella drained my baby jar and left it on my grocery list for the week.
  • Combine 1 cup Nutella, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg, and 1 cup all-purpose flour.
  • Mix well.
  • Form 1 inch balls and place them on a baking sheet.
  • Press dough down slightly to form flattened cookie
  • Bake at 350F for 7-8 minutes.

Spicy Pretzels
Amazing, that is all there is to be said about these little devils.

  • Place 2-one pound bags of pretzels in gallon Ziploc bags.
  • Combine well, 3/4 cups canola oil with one package Ranch Dressing powder and 2 tsp ground cayenne. Feel free to alter dressing packets and amount of cumin (I've discussed with others using the Fiesta Ranch and neglecting the cumin). I usually do this in my measuring cup.
  • Pour mixture over pretzels and seal Ziploc bags.
  • Shake well and place on counter to set for 24 hours, shaking mixture at different opportunities. I do this every time I walk by and then place them down quickly to avoid temptation of opening the bags.

Tiger Jello Shots
I just could not resist making some delicious Jello-Shots for game day festivities, but of course I had to make them to coordinate the rest of the ridiculous amount of Orange and purple that flooded my amazing town Saturday. In perusing around I also found these Jello-Shots that stray away from the traditional vodka use and that I am keeping for the future.

  • Boil 2 cups of water and prepare the first color of jello by dissolving powder entirely.
  • Add 16 oz of vodka (I used the harshest and cheapest) and 3/4 cup cold water.
  • Using a ladle Distribute first color of jello vodka mixture into shot glasses. These can be found at any food packing distribution store or you can use bathroom rinse cups from WalMart or like thereof.
  • Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes or until slightly set.
  • Prepare second color of jello, dissolving powder in boiling water, and adding vodka and cold water as with first color.
  • Distribute second color of jello vodka mixture into shot glasses.
  • Place in refrigerator over night, or for at least 2 additional hours.
  • Correctly recite Cadence Count after having five shots.

Loaded Barbecue Chicken Nachos & Chicken Salad
Sunday was a day of pure recovery, which meant the desperate need for carbs, water, and aspirin. After much water and several aspirin doses, Sunday night I mustered consuming some carbs, which came in the form of these delightful, slightly unhealthy (yet more healthy than you would find at a restaurant) chicken nachos. Again, I altered everything a bit to not include the thing I don't enjoy i.e. avocado and to a spicy barbecue sauce over buffalo. In addition, my decision to make my family's chicken salad had been put off long enough and thawing and boiling two chicken breast at a time rather than separately pleased my multi-tasking character.

Barbecue Chicken Nachos
  • Cut 5 Round Flour Tortillas (the recipe called for 8, however I was tackling these alone and didn't see my being able to consume that excessive of an amount of food) into wedges.
  • Lay across baking sheet, sprinkle with olive oil, salt, and pepper then bake for 6 minutes or until golden brown at 450F.
  • Sprinkle cooked shredded chicken, shredded cheeses, and barbecue sauce over baked chips.
  • Place back in oven for additional 4-5 minutes or until cheeses have melted.

Chicken Salad
  •  Combine one cooked chicken breast, shredded, with two boiled egg, diced, one gala apple, diced, one celery stalk, chopped, three tbsps DUKE's mayonnaise, and one tsp sweet dill relish.
The true secret to this is hand shredding (rather than using a food processor) the chicken, Duke's mayonnaise and the gala apple. I enjoy a slightly sweeter Chicken salad thus the gala apple is crucial. In addition, any one not from the south, I promise you Duke's mayonnaise is the only way to go and is life altering.

No comments:

Post a Comment